Saturday, March 20, 2010

Ferns in the morning

Just by the front door, that faces east, we have a number of ferns the positively glow with the early morning sunlight.  Today, for a change, I seemed to have enough time to point the camera in the general direction of the ferns and get a few shots.  Unfortunately, over-enthusiasm to get the shot meant I didn't check settings on the camera so a reasonable number of shots were taken at a ridiculously high ISO of 3200!

Still working on my 505050 project each of the images you see in this post were taken with the 50mm lens and, as it happens, none of them have been modified in any way.

A number of the ferns seem a little "scorched" on the tips of their leaves and all I can think is that it's due to the very dry weather we've been experiencing.  I think the colour adds to the "glow" of the leaves and enhances the overall effect.  What do you think?

The second image has the bleeding heart vine leaf in the background.  This particular plant featured in my 50mm shot of the day.  Have a squiz and let me know what you think.

Besides taking shots "through" the leaves I tried to take some where the light reflected off the leaves.  I'm not sure what I think about these, but have added one as the third image in this post.  Like I mentioned in a recent 50mm posting, sometimes the image doesn't need a lot of detail, but can leave that to your imagination.  I suppose that's what I was hoping to do with these reflective shots of the ferns.  I don't think the image's subject is that obvious on initial viewing, but then you can see it.  Whether it works once you know at what you're looking I'm not sure, perhaps let me know?
After the early morning shots of the ferns I headed out to the beach ... still with the 50mm lens, but this time I had a polarising filter as well.  I haven't used one of these for many, many years and I have to say the results are quite pleasing.  I'll end this post with a shot of Rangitoto Island taken from Maraetai with a 50mm lens.

No comments:

Post a Comment