Thursday, May 6, 2010

Down at the port

I'm not sure if it's because we're short of space down at the waterfront, or if it just helps from a logistics point of view, but not far from where I live there's an inland port.  It's a boy's place really!  Big trucks, cranes and heaps and heaps of containers neatly stacked and grouped under a multitude of spotlights next to the railway.  I've always thought it'd be good to try to get some shots.  Night time brings with it a whole different atmosphere and we had a great time watching the trucks and cranes as well as taking a few pictures.

I was seriously impressed with the speed and efficiency with which a truck was unloaded and the container stacked away in a neat pile.  The cranes were staggeringly maneuverable and lifted the containers like they were made from cardboard.  Very impressive.
Flare?  I was quite keen to get a bit of this in the image as I thought it'd add to the atmosphere.

Fourth shot is a single shot HDR of the prot and one of the cranes.  There's quite a bit of noise in the sky, but I think the image still works.  What do you think?  Looks best when enlarged, so please click on the image to get an enlarged view.

Quite pleased with our efforts at the inland port we headed off to a new structure being built near Clendon.  There's some huge vat type structures and it looks pretty impressive depending upon the light.  We tried a 5 shot HDR of the structure, but couldn't really get the angles we were after as there were a number of electric fences in the way!  Anyway, don't forget to click on the images to get an enlarged view and post a comment and let me know what you think.

1 comment:

  1. Good series. We have a container port too and it is fun. I've never been there at night. The shapes are on a big scale and yes, it is interesting to watch the action. In the day I like to see the big piles of colour from the sea.

    ReplyDelete