Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Salford is rather pleasant :-)

I can remember Salford Docks from my youth.  It wasn't a particularly pleasant place to visit.  The colour I'd associate with the place of old would be grey or black.  Grim, dirty, industrial, run down are all descriptions that come to mind when I think of the Salford of my youth.  I can recall visiting company offices that had gone into receivership or were closing down, to pick up good quality office furniture on the cheap.  It's also the place made famous by the TV programme Coronation Street.  Look back at early episodes of "the Street" and that's not far off what I imagine when I recall the Salford of the '60s and '70s.

Fast forward to 2010 and what a change!  The Quays (no longer the docks!) are quite up market and definitely not a blot on the landscape.  Apartments, condominiums, slick offices, museums, restaurants and shops.  They even have a very modern and regular light rail service linking the quays with Manchester's city centre.  I was impressed.  A place to avoid?  Haha!  Not now.  It's a place to visit :-)

The first shot in this post is of the old Dock Offices - I think ;-).  The remainder of the shots in this post are from around the quays ... as they appear in 2010.  Let me know what you think.  I was well impressed.


No comments:

Post a Comment