Monday, February 18, 2013

Just a thought ...

I was curious, and somewhat intrigued really, but the way our behaviour changes.  When I was much younger, telephone conversations and letters were the way we would often communicate with people out of earshot.  Telephone calls weren't always the most cost effective way of communicating, however.  I can recall international calls costing significantly more than the old aerogrammes.  I also remember that on every holiday we took there'd be the ritual postcard writing session! I suppose these days it's as quick to post things on Facebook, G+ or your Blog ... and it's rather more personal as you took the shot.  Mind you, I still find we buy a few postcards when we visit places.  Often postcard images are taken at times that show the venue off to its best advantage.  Sometimes, however, it's difficult to obtain postcards of the place you're staying. Unless the town is a regular tourist destination the chances are there won't be a postcard for the place.  This makes me think of Frances Frith.  Frances Frith and his team were pioneering Victorian photographers who embarked on the colossal project to photograph as much of Great Britain as possible during the second half of the 19th century.  Many of these photographs remain and the Frances Frith Company is still selling prints of these images from a era long past.
Nathan Homestead, Manurewa, Auckland, New Zealand
I suppose I'd be curious to know if you buy postcards ... and if you do ... why?  Where I live, in South Auckland, there are some quite lovely scenes and locations, but hardly any postcards of this area.  Is this because nobody wants to buy them, or are the margins so small that the various postcard companies only supply the biggest selling images?
"Family" sculpture, Manukau, New Zealand
Perhaps people pass through South Auckland as fast as they can to get to the "famous" places in New Zealand?  If so, then I could well imagine little demand for postcards for any town not on the main tourist routes.  Maybe it's Flickr or Google Maps that people rely on to see "what's there"?  Somehow though, when I look at Mr. Frith's images I can't help feeling we'll be missing something in a few years time.
Wiri, Auckland, New Zealand

No comments:

Post a Comment